Sunday 23 June 2013

60's Revival...........

I think I lost the plot with this and taken over the mantle from Margaret, as in, I don't know when to stop. However, the whole point of this group is to explore new challenges.

My thoughts were to revive a piece of cloth with a 60's pattern, layers of bright flowers and symbols. I started by researching Psychedelic, that was an eye opener, I never knew it was a drug in the 1960's. The modern use of the word which I am familiar with, describes anything with an abstract decoration of multiple bright colours.
So I moved onto Flower Power, only to find that in America where it originated, it was used to protest against the Vietnam War. Hippies embraced this by wearing embroidered flowers in vibrant colours on their clothes, flowers in their hair and distributing flowers to the public.

Phew! After all that I looked up some images, drew some flowers and swirls, painted one page in my sketchbook and got to work. Starting with a Transfer Dyed background and images, I built up layers with bonded appliqué using hand dyed fabrics. I used free machine quilting, hand embellishments and beads to bring the whole thing together.

Yeah Baby Yeah!!
I was going to call it 60' Revival Flower Power, but this mad little creation deserved something else, so I took inspiration from Austin Powers..........Yeah Baby Yeah!!
Sue

2 comments:

  1. The researches have paid off. Your finished embroidery is very evocative of a well remembered era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Naida, took me a while and I went off it a few times in the process, but I did enjoy the hand stitching, especially the distorted blanket stitch.
    Best wishes Sue

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.