Thursday, 30 October 2014

New Challenge...

We're back with new vigour fuelled by the success of our exhibition, so I thought it was time to up-date you on our new challenge. You will have seen from Jane's beautiful piece on her last post that we have moved forward from the monthly 12" challenges and decided to work on a two year project. This will give us the opportunity to produce an exciting and varied body of work towards our 2016 exhibition.

Our Topic will be based on 'Cornwall' and each member has chosen their theme. We will work in multiples of 3" with the artist choosing how their pieces will be displayed.
I'll leave it to each member to explain their theme, but here's a taster - Moorland, Heaths, Coast, Surfaces, China Clay, Bark, Beaches, Harbours, Portraits and Country Houses. So, as you can see, there is a wealth of inspiration to look forward too.

Although we are in the very early stages of our 'Cornwall' challenge, when we met yesterday there were already beautiful sketch books and samples to drool over. We may not have as many finished pieces to share with you at first, but hopefully you will enjoy the process as each member develops their own theme. So, please pop back often and watch our journey.

I'll be back soon to share my theme with you, bye for now.
Sue

Tuesday, 21 October 2014

STORMY WATERS

Thought I would share my new piece with you.  Its based on the Tall Ships Regatta in Falmouth this year.
I went - together with my husband, dog and hundreds of other people to the point to watch the ships sailing away.
I can hardly describe the atmosphere of the moment the sails started to unfold in any other way but breathtaking.

I started by hand painting some silk, which I sprinkled with dishwasher salt and some table salt. Which was very successful.




I then nearly had to go out to buy a wig, as I was tearing my hair out trying to deal with the tiny foundation pieced mariners compass that I had challenged myself to do.  
It is under 3" diameter and has 32 points.



Next came the sails.  After what I had been through these were the easy part.


So all the elements were ready so it was time to put it together.  I layered it up and I did some machine quilting.
I then wrote some of the lyrics from a Rod Stewart song on the sails.  Some metal fixings and a bit of bling on the compass.




Finished !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am really pleased with the result.
janex