Tuesday 21 October 2014

STORMY WATERS

Thought I would share my new piece with you.  Its based on the Tall Ships Regatta in Falmouth this year.
I went - together with my husband, dog and hundreds of other people to the point to watch the ships sailing away.
I can hardly describe the atmosphere of the moment the sails started to unfold in any other way but breathtaking.

I started by hand painting some silk, which I sprinkled with dishwasher salt and some table salt. Which was very successful.




I then nearly had to go out to buy a wig, as I was tearing my hair out trying to deal with the tiny foundation pieced mariners compass that I had challenged myself to do.  
It is under 3" diameter and has 32 points.



Next came the sails.  After what I had been through these were the easy part.


So all the elements were ready so it was time to put it together.  I layered it up and I did some machine quilting.
I then wrote some of the lyrics from a Rod Stewart song on the sails.  Some metal fixings and a bit of bling on the compass.




Finished !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I am really pleased with the result.
janex



1 comment:

  1. Your mariner's compass is amazing and I love your treatment of the sails. It's a beautiful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.