Tuesday 2 April 2013

Sewing The Seeds

I sent my husband out on a mission to pick some wild seed headed grasses at the same time as walking the dog.
This was the starting point of this challenge.


I did some drawings and practiced stitching some of the grasses.




I chose a hand-dyed fabric and a pretty spotty fabric which I intended to overlay with organza. 

 The techniques I used included silkscreen printing for one of the varieties of seed head. Fabric Painting. Free machine embroidery. Couching and Hand Embroidery.



I was just finishing the last border edge when I took my finger off the pulse for a split second and disaster struck - pressing the border too near the organza I melted a big hole in it.  I was upset and cross with myself.   
Reverse stitching always takes so long.  But one good thing did come out of it.  I decided to use a gold sparkly net instead of organza and I like it better.  I love bling!



p.s. Also the piece I had practiced on originally looked so good its well on its way to being 
"Sewing The Seeds 2"
janex


2 comments:

  1. Seed heads are always such brilliant inspiration. You've made a lovely piece of work. I think the net looks better too.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.