Tuesday 30 March 2021

Rhythmic Stitching.....

Debbie's Hexies

Debbie’s colour ‘Mustard/Ochre’. The meaning of the name Debbie is bee. For a few years I kept bees so the idea of hexagons was drawing me in to a design. I struggle with hand stitching as now I am losing the sensitivity in the tips of my fingers, I do so enjoy boro and sashiko stitching. Once the hexagons were stitched together I quilted inside each shape with a variegated ochre thread. I found this so soothing and rhythmic especially in our present strange times. Small silk flowers with beaded stamens were attached to the hexagons. There are 3 separate hexagons, each with a few hidden written words attached randomly. This would not be complete without a bee so one has buzzed his way in !!!!!






Rosemary's - 'By the light of the Silvery Moon'

Although gold wasn’t mentioned I wanted to include some bling even though it was to be only a gold thread. Red is such a warm colour and there were lots of reds in the ufo box. So to hand was hand painted silk velvet, silk, and random cottons of varying weights. Rosemary has two really lovely very fluffy cats so there definitely had to feature. I have a Tao cat book and so I printed off a piece relating to the passionate cat, and this was bonded onto the fabric and covered with layer of acrylic wax. I found a fringe on a scarf which reminded me of a curtain so here we - the finished square. I feel the cats are plotting mischief by the light of the silvery moon - but who knows, they might just be wondering what's for breakfast !!




Thanks for visiting our blog.
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.