Tuesday 6 April 2021

Rich rust and glistening gold.....

Jane chose rusty gold for her coloured pages, what a wonderfully rich choice. My mind mulled several ideas over, round and about, as I was working on the red and blue pages, and then the way forward became clear! I love it when this seems to happen almost overnight.

I remembered when Jane and I were showing each other our sketchbook pages for our planned exhibition, in those far off and distant days of previous normality, (getting together and making plans), when we both realised we had created similar pages, quite separately. We had used maps and woven papers together....



So...this weaving seemed the perfect starting point for my page for Jane. Once again my stash offered up remnants from quilts my mother had made, which seemed really appropriate with the figurative sun and rays, and even a scrap from her wedding dress from 1957. I love to add to the tactile nature by adding velvets and wool felts to the cotton and silk fabrics.


Add into the mix the lace, a glitzy button from Granny’s tin, and even a mother of Pearl buckle, some bling of metallic fabric as well as seed beads, and gradually the page came together.


It was a joy to add to the stitching in odd snatches of time, a little bit here and there allowed the piece to grow quite quickly. So the finished piece is sort of related to my other pages, but at the same time somehow different, each seems to take on their own personality as I work on them!


Once again, thank you for reading!


Debbie





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.