Tuesday 2 March 2021

Birds & Wheels.....

Jane's Birds - 

Where to start with a piece for Jane - her chosen colour ‘Rusty Gold’. My much preferred technique is free machine embroidery and I was trying to think of how I could tune into Jane's love of nature, particularly birds. 
I found a bag of old dried empty teabags and thought in some way they would make an interesting foundation. The tea bags were bonded onto painted calico, with added silk paper pieces. This was all over painted with Koh-in-noor. I painted some birds onto abaca tissue, these and also some silk velvet leaf shapes were then bonded onto the background. I added a random application of gold foil then gave the whole piece a couple of coats of acrylic wax, avoiding the velvet. Machine stitching emphasised the branch and other leaf shapes.
This was just great fun to do, so will explore this combination of techniques in the future. Why don’t you experiment ? -you’ll have a happy time and the end results can be quite unusual and perhaps not as you imagine.





Sue’s Wheels

I struggle with colours around ’brown’ so what what was I to do with ‘Rust' !!!!? 
I remembered some sample pieces I had done in the past, and found them tucked away in the ufo box - great I had an idea. Sue loves to recycle old pieces so with this in mind I set about cutting up and reassembling an old piece from the distant past - the original fabric - painted calico, stencilled, hand painted and highlighted with oil pastels. With further stitching and repainting in areas the piece came together quite well. Although the colour was difficult for me to get my head around, I admit to enjoying the journey. 
From time to time I recommend we all step out of our comfort zone and embrace the challenge - we can often be rewarded in ways we could never have imagined.





Thanks for reading 
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.