Tuesday 16 March 2021

Liquid gold.....

My colour choice for our pages was ochre/mustard, which has proved tricky for people to work with. Whoops! But in this instance it reminded me of honey or liquid gold. My name is derived from a Hebrew word meaning bee, which I've know since being told as a child. I've always had a soft spot for bees, reinforced by my Granny relating how we should 'tell the bees' of major events in our lives, which is an old European tradition.

So when I saw this yummy fabric at a craft fair some years ago it just spoke to me, and then it seemed appropriate to use if for my ochre page. I know it’s not entirely ochre, but enough in the flowers to fit I thought. I kept it simple, stitching intuitively to echo the flow of the design, and adding some teeny tiny hexies and beads, and my go to Suffolk puffs and Dorset button for texture. I love mixing the traditional with the more contemporary, hence some vintage family lace, more old linen buttons from my Granny’s button tin, and those puffs are yet more remnants from sewing projects from my teenage years etc. This has been a real wander down memory lane!




Thanks for reading

Debbie



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.