Thursday 7 March 2013

CLOSE UP - 'PUNICA GRANATUM'

I started with photos and drawings. I then zoomed in to identified the lines and textures I wanted to highlight.




I used a hand dyed fabric overlaid with shiny red organza to represent the Pomegranate seeds which are encapsulated in plump, shiny, transparent sacs of juice. I did try burning the organza but did not get the finish I was hoping for, so I left that procedure out on the finished piece.




The sacs are trapped in a membrane and a spongy creamy white pith. and I chose bleached mulberry bark for this, on which I couched down a variety of cords and fibers.  After machine stitching and painting the seeds I finished by embellishing the pith with sequins and beads.



I do like a bit of bling.......
janex

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.