Thursday 28 March 2013

Sowing the seeds


What a lovely workshop yesterday. I loved it all - the sewing, the company (especially the little ones), the quality of the 'maids' projects and the orange and almond cake (thank you Chris). We did the usual Show and Tell with the previous month's piece and it always amazes me how very differently we all interpret the given subject and how very talented everyone is.
For 'Seeds' I chose to make a piece of felt and embroider and applique some poppy seed heads on to it.
I started with a piece of grey half felt and placed one layer of undyed sheltland wool tops on it. Before felting I put some bamboo tops and carded jute on the fleece to give it a little texture.





                                      

I then applied 2 velvet poppy seed heads and embroidered 2 with knitting yarn and 2 with stranded cotton, a scattering of bright shiny beads for the seeds, a patchwork cotton border and the piece was finished.



I am really enjoying the monthly challenge and already planning next month's project.
 When 'Dreams' was pulled out of the tin I was a little concerned - I was not sure how to go about it, but I am getting more confident and now I am keen to get going.
 Margaret


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful textures Margaret, on the felted background and the choice of poppy fabric's.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.