Wednesday 8 January 2014

Museum Challenge...

Jane mentioned about the wonderful mineral collection in an earlier post, so with my connection to an engine house and mining in Cornwall, it only seemed right that I go down that road for our Truro Museum challenge.

I photographed a lot of the minerals, but when I looked at the Vivianite sample I could see many of the techniques I love to use, pin-tucks, French knots and texture.
This sample came from Wheal Jane, Kea which is in the same area as West Chiverton. The description said... long needles of blackish vivianite associated with tiny globules of cronstedtite needles and golden brown cocoxenite.


Working through my samples to replicate the background colours, I found Magnum papers along with painted and distressed Tyvek worked perfectly (in the call of duty my dear mum ate the ice cream and saved the papers).

sketch book work
detail
Hand dyed and rusted fabrics, voiles, organza, silk waste, painted and distressed Tyvek, distorted pin-tucks, French knots, distorted French knots, free machine quilting.
Vivianite
Thanks for reading,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.