Sunday 19 January 2014

A few behind but making a start!?!?!

So, its been a while (4 months??) and I am behind with my squares, there is no denying it.  Since moving to London I have been somewhat preoccupied by other things (not least out little building project - see themercuryunit.blogspot.co.uk).

But tonight I made a start in the right direction (I may even get a sketchbook out a little later - don't get excited though - and sketch out some ideas for the other squares I am missing!).  Simon is having to do lots of materials testing at the moment and since I saw Do Ho Suh Staircase III (see here), I wanted to have a go at reproducing some of Simon's work in voiles.  As this also ties in rather nicely with the Architectural Forms' theme I figured I could make it once and we could both make use of it!!

This is my first attempt at a scaled down sample; I had never used voile and soldering irons like this before - to burn holes in it yes but never for anything 'accurate' (and I currently use that word loosely!).  The bigger cube is 10x10cm the smaller one 5x5cm.  I believe the final one will be 20x20cm, unless of  course Simon decides that he totally loves this and wants to make a pavilion out of it!  I definitely need to improve my technique, the small cube is supposed to be cut out of one of the faces but only after hashing it together did I work out how I should have done it!

Needless to say, this first sample I am pretty pleased with, the effect of the double layers and light works brilliantly; now I need to work on accuracy and how to make even smaller cubes that can be placed inside others, or attached to others, or cut through others (and on and on...)

So I haven't totally forgotten my Maids' its just taking me a while to get back into the swing of it all!!

Next I need to do:
Decay
Museum Trip
Favourite Book
 - any others I've not been told about!?!?

             - Becca





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.