Friday 13 September 2013

Trebah Gardens


It has been a little while since I have written on the Blog, mainly because we have been busy with family visits during the Summer.  So anyway here I am.  We have had a couple lovely days out with the 'Maids', our first as you will know was to Trebah Gardens, and the second was to Cardinham Woods, Bodmin, which was meant to be for a coffee and ended up, for some of us, lunch as well.  We can all highly recommend the Woods Cafe for both!!

I thought you may like to see a few of the 'Texture' challenge pieces.  We all have such different ideas and it is always lovely to 'Show & Tell' and get to understand the source of our inspirations.  And also how some challenges come easy and how other are a bit more tricky! 
Texture
I have finished my Trebah Challenge and have cleverly called it 'Trebah Gardens'!!! I found this challenge a struggle, because although it is beautiful at Trebah, it was difficult for me to see how I could portray my feelings.  I took a beautiful photo of my Grandson Eli tucking into cake and thought that I may use that, but eventually decided against it (may be I will re-visit at a later stage), and I ended up using the Gunera leaf.
 
Trebah Gardens
Each leaf is cut out of either fabric, paper, Tyvek, scrim, Lutrador or vanishing fabric, and layered up onto of a photocopy of the map, which I covered in PVA.  The quilting in the lines from the map with a few of the key words included.  I have also added the label to the front, but scattered across the piece.

I think I need to move away from Green for 'Decay' and although I haven't started it yet I do know what I want to do!

I will be away visiting Rebecca (who although has moved is still a member and will be taking part in our monthly challenges) for our next meeting, so we will be popping into the Natural History Museum instead of Royal Cornwall Museum to get inspiration.

Thank you for reading.

Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.