Monday 14 February 2022

For Jane and a little extra...

 


Round like a circle-like a wheel within a wheel……………

Joining stitch and woven circles and colour cream/gold. Well nearly there Jane, some gold thread but also a bronze glitz to complement the tan colour which I know you just love. Please forgive me wandering away from the brief but I felt happier with stronger contrasts. The joining stitch – well I was just amazed at the number of combination of stitches that could be used to achieve an interesting piecing of fabrics certainly worth exploring another day for sure. The cream fabric with a music print I had used to make a quilt for my son Luke which in turn had featured circles of different colours so it seemed fitting to find a few pieces for this to also feature circles. Just loved the rhythm of sewing the circles but confess you do need a very long thread if wanting to avoid joining a thread in the middle. Bronze coloured beads and shisha mirrors for extra contrast. 

Who doesn’t like a shisha mirror or two!!!!



Daisy, Daisy !
I have had a passion for ‘daisies’ since my childhood, so they are my go-to flower. Following my choice of colour for this project page I embarked on a range 
of neutrals, beiges, and always a little glitz. The larger daisies are from a music/maths fabric (as in Jane's piece), from a quilt I had made for my son five years ago so these petals were the very first layer. My chosen two stitches, were lazy daisy - what a surprise and cretan. I was trying to create a field of daisies, so decided to stitch a few of those first over the background, around the main larger fabric daisies. The cretan stitch I used in a very random dramatic way for the next layer, then more hand stitched lazy daisies over the top. It all seemed a little flat, despite using a variety of threads for the flowers, so added smaller machine embroidered flowers in gold thread. Although the finished piece not as in my mind, but I thoroughly enjoyed  the fun journey, once I got started. I have to own up to being always the last person in the group to finish projects and have given myself a title of Professor of Procrastination !!!!
Jenni - PP

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.