Saturday 24 January 2015

“I SEE NO SHIPS”

I decided to use silk again for this piece so started by painting  some.  I then got some sequin waste and stencilled onto some of the silk using acrylic paint. I made a foam stamp and printed onto another piece of silk but this time with fabric paint. Finally I made a feather stencil from plastic and used Markal sticks.
Next I frayed some of the edges and patched the pieces together.  I wanted to appliqué the seagull but instead of using fabric decided to use the Tall Ships Souvenir Edition of the West Briton for the body, and for the wing I used the Falmouth Tide Chart for the week of the Regatta.  To make these more resilient I crumpled them up several times and doused them with a good coating of acrylic wax.  I used a fine machine needle so that I wouldn’t get large holes when stitching. Adding a bit of colour and an eye brought it alive.




I machine quilted the piece managing to incorporate some metallic thread for that bit of bling that I love.
Finally I added some text to finished the whole thing off.


I’m please with the end result.

Janex

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.