Sunday 11 March 2018

Progress on 'Containment'...

An unusual weather occurrence, for Cornwall at least, prevented us from meeting at the end of February. But, not to be deterred we met this week with tales of being snowed in and sharing beautiful photos of snow covered landscapes.

A change in the date and Maids having prior engagements meant we were a little thin on the ground, still an enjoyable gathering but I've only a few snaps to share with you...


Margaret - 'Undulating' piece

Working on her 'Undulating' piece, Margaret had an experimental day sampling the effects of adding tissue paper insets. Since the last meeting more orange French knots have been added and this has, somehow, made the stitched words stand out.



Sue - 'Containment' piece

My work on Loe Beach and re-purposing continues with my piece for 'Containment'. Previously this was a cushion I had on the sofa and no longer matched my decor. I added free motion quilting, couched wool, French knots, acrylic paint and painted bondaweb. Originally the colours were blue, rust and mustard. I'm considering cutting this piece up and re-joining to resemble the layers of a stone I picked up at Loe Beach and used for colour inspiration, I may also add some painted papers...samples in progress. I'm thinking this will sit along side the stone in a box.



Jane - 'Containment' piece


Jane brought her beautiful finished piece for 'Containment', I wish I could have shown you the whole piece. It features one of her carefully embroidered birds, this time a falcon, which was hooded and tethered, skilfully representing containment.



Rosemary - 'Containment' piece

Another piece for 'Containment', this time Behind Bars was from Rosemary. Detailed hand stitching, painting, locks and keys all gave a good representation of containment.



Maggie - 'Containment' piece

Maggie continued to add hand stitching to her 'Containment' piece. This was felted from the back giving a delicate feel to the landscape on the front.


We'll have our finished 'Containment' pieces at the next meeting and choose our final word. We should be back to full strength so I'll have more snaps to share with you.

Bye for now,
Sue



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.