Monday 24 February 2014

Favourite Book...

For me it has to be The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher. I was introduced to this book many years ago by Auntie Rosa, so as soon as this challenge was selected I knew I had to re-read this engaging story set in a changing Cornwall, much as today.
I know the character Penelope Keeling is fictional, but throughout the book you become friends with her and I always miss her when I've finished it. Being a Cornish Maid I can lose myself in the old Cornwall, the days of bohemian artists, ramshackle studios, I imagine St. Ives with it's narrow streets and the beach close at hand.

Working through my sketch book two passages came to mind, the first I thought was very apt with her father saying...
One day they will come, to paint the warmth of the sun
and the colours of the wind.........and they did.

The second is just how it is when you stand by the seashore and listen...
She filled her eyes with the blue of the sea and  sky;
then felt the salty wind; smelt the seaweed and damp sand;
heard the scream of the gulls, the drumming of the breeze in her ears.

Here are a few pages from my sketch book..

mixed media - Auntie Rosa's sheet music, shells, organza and scrim
I like to transfer sheet music into my work and I felt this was an ideal opportunity, the sound of the sea is music to me.

mixed media samples using crushed shells and Kunin felt
hand appliqué and trapunto samples 
detail of trapunto in finished piece
Here is my finished piece...

'Sounds of the Sea'
Hope you enjoyed seeing this challenge and if you've never read The Shell Seekers give it a whirl, I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do.

Bye for now
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.