Thursday 7 November 2013

TRURO MUSEUM JOLLY -

I had suggested this venue after having read about the wonderful mineral collection housed there.
Imagine my disappointment to find that this display was not disabled friendly.
However, this was soon forgotten when I went into the "Egyptian Room" which was packed full of inspiration, and I came home with my head buzzing with ideas of hieroglyphics, urns and especially a mummified cat......... (I think I need to get out more)

"LAND OF THE PHARAOHS"



Hieroglyphics

Urns

 Mummified Cat


The wrappings on the cat reminded me of the "Log Cabin" quilting pattern. I decided to use Used Tea Bags as they are the perfect colour to represent the mummified bandages.  They are quite delicate to work with so after sewing them together I gave them several layers of acrylic wax.  Which made them stronger and gave them a leathery finish.

I rusted some silk for the base fabric for the hieroglyphics, which I transferred using an inkjet print on a OHP and some fabric medium.

The urns (close up)

 For the urns I scraped some gesso onto - what was a previous hand dyed failure - I then sprayed this with black ink and sprinkled with salt.  This gave the perfect texture.  I machine appliquéd them on to some hand painted open weave fabric.


All I had to do was some quilting and foiling to finish it all off.
Janex





No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.