Tuesday 16 July 2013

"Washed - up"

The challenge for June was "Textures" as you already know, and although this seemed like an easy title, I did take a little while to get to grips with it, but eventually I did.   

A few years ago at college I had used a photo of the debris that is washed up on the beach and left behind with the tide, and started working on a small wall-hanging.  I never really felt that it was finished, although I had given it a name and pretended that I was happy with it!

The starting place
 So I decided to use this "un-finished" piece for the Textures challenge.  I chopped into it and added some plain calico to depict more of the sand.  I then batted it up again and quilted into it.

Chopped into!
  I was still not totally happy with it, and remembered the day when we had gone to the beach and it had been covered by foam, so I painted the whole piece with emulsion paint and while the paint was still wet I sprinkled sand over it, to add more texture. 
Re-named and finished at last!
 I am now very happy and re named it "Washed-up".

Thank for reading
Carolyn

4 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with this Carolyn. UFO's and earlier pieces we're just not totally happy with can be great resources for creating new pieces of art. It's interesting how we look at them in a different light after the passage of time. I like how you've taken a section from the original and re-developed it. Your final application of emulsion paint and sand to your piece really was the crowning touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leonie,

      Thank you for your comment. I really enjoyed re-working on this piece, and I agree, you do see things differently if you leave them for a while. Carolyn

      Delete
  2. Adding a final layer of paint has really picked out the undulations, pintucks and stitching. It shows the amount of work that went into your previous piece, looking good :) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Sue. Yes I am rather apleased with it too. Carolyn

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.