Thursday 2 May 2013

How many french knots.............


..does it take until it's finished.....when the piece tells you I reckon. That's what this piece felt like anyway.

My Dreams challenge was based on my dream to visit Pompeii and Herculaneum  The title was to be 'Dreams Do Come True'. But as I worked through sketch book ideas my recurring thoughts were for the people of those two beautiful cities, their dreams ended so sudden and tragic in 79AD that I changed my title to ' Traces of Dreams', their's lost and mine in memories and photographs.

I wanted to create the effect of layers and texture, to reflect peeling back the layers of the excavations, discovering the artefacts, paintings and mosaics on the walls and floors.
For this process I layered acrylic painted and stencilled torn fabrics, free machine quilted cable design, stone wall pattern and a markel paint stik urn. French knots to add more texture, with chiffon laid over and a heat gun used to distress. 
The edges are free machine stitched. I finished off by gently smearing gold paint over to pick up the textured areas.

Here are a few of my sketch book pages 

   





'Traces of Dreams' detail

'Traces of Dreams'


Thanks for reading
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.