Saturday 10 October 2015

A Holy Well... finished at last!


I am very pleased to be able to post a finished piece of work, the first in a series based on the Holy Wells of Cornwall.  This work is based on St Ruan's Well near Cadgwith on the Lizard. I decided before I started any stitching I would so some drawing, and on one of the first hot days of this spring I sat down and quickly made this sketch.



 I do think that making drawing part of my design process has made me look more carefully at the subject,  and I am hoping to keep that habit going!



I also took a few photographs focussing on the vegetation surrounding around the well and close ups of the granite. In particular there was a great mass of bare blackthorn stems which had an amazing texture which I rather liked...  During the period that I was starting to develop this project, I attended a weekend screen printing workshop with Vineta Cable at Cowslip Workshops. I decided to create some textured fabrics inspired by the photographs, and these prints of granite stones, grasses and blackthorn stems were all eventually used in the final piece. I loved the images of the tangle of ferns but this was not used in the final work as I had decided it wasn't possible to include imagery of the inside of the well. So I think I will be saving that for another project!

 

 
Thank you for reading this post, 
I hope you have enjoyed seeing some finished work from me - at last!  
Regards, Chris



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
‘Textile Maids’ is a group of like-minded Contemporary Textitle Artist in Cornwall, providing encouragement; creative direction and the enhancement of techniques, with a view to collaborating in exhibitions.